Mask Mandate Letter
June 8, 2021
Dear Onteora Families,
Last evening, we received updated official guidance from the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) indicating that masks are no longer required to be worn outdoors on school grounds, including outdoor school sports. Social distancing, however, is to be maintained. Although masks are no longer required, the NYSDOH indicated that the use of masks is still recommended for non-vaccinated individuals.
The guidance also clearly indicated that masks are still required indoors for all students and staff for the balance of the school year.
This morning the District COVID safety team met. Effective tomorrow, June 9, 2021, the District will implement the protocol change of no longer requiring masks, for outdoor activities only. Please note the following protocols are still in place:
1. Masks are required to be worn at all times in school building and on school buses.
2. Mask breaks may occur in all classrooms and indoor learning spaces as needed, including physical education and music. Students are to remain
seated and physically distanced during mask breaks.
3. Masks are encouraged but not required during lunch while the student is seated.
4. Visitors are required to wear masks while in our schools at all times.
5. Parents waiting for child pick-up outside will not be required to wear masks as long as physical distancing (no less than 6 feet) can be maintained.
We thank you for your continued support and cooperation, as we continue to work to keep everyone safe.