Superintendent's Letter - Changes in COVID-19 Procedures
December 16, 2021
Dear Onteora Community,
We wanted to keep you apprised of changes in our COVID -19 procedures. Starting today, Thursday, December 16th 2021. The following changes will be taking place:
- We will only be notifying staff and parents of students who are fully vaccinated of exposure to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 via email. As quarantines are not necessary when vaccinated unless symptomatic, emailing allows our nursing staff more time to support student immediate health needs.
- Now that the Ulster County Department of Health (UCDOH) has changed its requirements, we will be accepting negative rapid antigen tests so that students can re-enter school.
a. Neither Ulster County Department of Health nor Onteora Central Schools can accept tests completed at home. We can only accept antigen test reports
b. Students can only return to school if they have a negative antigen or PCR test, and they no longer have symptoms.
- We are in the process of working with our school nurse staff, UCDOH and Village Apothecary (Dr. Neal Smaller) on creating antigen testing for students who are symptomatic in our schools. We will inform parents and staff of our next steps as more details emerge and our plans begin to take shape.
- We will be coordinating with UCDOH on dispensing home antigen tests for families to use during the holiday season. Again, these tests cannot be used for a student to re-enter school but can be used as a helpful tool for families to use after large holiday or social gathering.
- Finally, as we continue to work on prevention and developing more mitigating factors to support continued safe and healthy schools, we are proud to announce that we will be partnering with Dr. Smaller for a community screening event on Sunday January 9th from 11 :30 am - 1 :00 pm at our Middle/ High School gym. We will be offering free COVID-19 rapid screening to all community members. Click for more information
Thank you for your continued partnership with us as we collaboratively work to provide our Onteora students with the best learning experiences in a safe environment.
Stay healthy and have a joyous winter holiday break.