Athletic Department News
Athletic Placement Process
The purpose of the statewide Athletic Placement Process (APP) is to determine the level of physical fitness students have when compared to older students who will be competing in high school sports. If your son/daughter (grade 7th or 8th ) is seeking to be a part of a Junior Varsity or Varsity high school team and has been recommended by the Coach and Athletic Director, a fitness test and a physical examination (Tanner test) will determine whether the level of physical development is appropriate to approve your child to try out for a high school team. Students must pass the required parts of each of the tests in order to be eligible for a tryout and to ensure the safety of their participation.
This program is designed for the exceptional athlete, whereas, the specific skill and conditioning level of the child would need to be well above the average for athletes of a similar age. It is not intended to assist the athletic program in filling a roster or give a child a head start.
Although an athlete may be physically prepared for advanced competition, the social and emotional preparedness must be considered for advanced placement as well. If your child is successful in the required examinations, the final decision as to whether the child has made the high school athletic team must be made during the first 3-5 days of the tryout period.
A parent permission form is required in order to complete the Athletic Placement Process. Parents and child are encouraged to read the state and athletic rules regarding the process prior to giving consent.
For more Information on the New York State Athletic Placement Process for Interscholastic Athletic programs select the link below:
NEW online athletic Registration through FamilyID
ON-LINE REGISTRATION DATES:
Varsity/JV Sports - Saturday, October 12
Modified Sports (7th and 8th grade) - Saturday, October 26
Please be aware that athletes must have a current health physical on file with the nurse’s office prior to the start of the athletic season. Current health physicals for the Winter 2019 season must be completed on or before November 11th for Varsity/JV sports and November 25th for Modified sports. Athletes in need of an updated physical will need to either provide the nurse with a copy of a physical completed by their primary care provider or contact the school nurse to schedule a physical with the school’s nurse practitioner in order to be cleared to tryout. The following physical exam dates will be available:
Onteora HS: *October 29 (7:45 - 11:00)
*November 6 (7:45 - 11:00)
*November 8 (7:45 - 11:00)
*Please email our nurse practitioner at email@example.com schedule an appointment.
STEPS FOR COMPLETING THE REGISTRATION:
A parent/guardian can register by completing the following steps:
- To register your child, you will need to select the appropriate Winter 2019 registration form from the programs section listed below.
- Next click on the green Register Now button and scroll, if necessary, to the Create Account/Log In green buttons. If this is your first time using Family ID, click Create Account. Click Log In, if you already have a Family ID account.
- Create your secure Family ID account by entering the account owner First and Last names (parent/guardian), E-mail address and password. Select I Agree to the Family ID Terms of Service. Click Create Account.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your new account. (If you don’t see the email, check your E-mail filters (spam, junk, etc.).
- Click on the link in your activation E-mail, which will log you in to FamilyID.com
- Once in the Registration Form, complete the information requested. All fields with a red* are required to have an answer.
- Click the Save & Continue button when your form is complete.
- Review your registration summary and submit.
Athletic Director, Director of Physical Education, Health and Dean of Students
P: (845) 657-2373 x. 2101
Athletic Booster Club
Athletic Code of Conduct Handbook
Athletic Placement Process
Coaching Staff Directory
Concussion Management and Awareness
Concussion Management in Schools
HS Sports Standards
Modified Sports Standards