Thank you for your interest in running for a seat on the Onteora Board of Education. The petition should be returned to the Office of the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m., Monday, April 22, 2019, and shall be reviewed to determine that you have signatures of at least 25 qualified voters of the District.
To qualify for membership on a school board you:
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent (Note: a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a school board if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole)
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year (§ 2103(2)).
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same
- May not be a current employee of the school district
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
If you meet the qualifications above, and if the petition is in order, your name shall be placed on the ballot for the election, which is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21, 2019. Petition forms may be picked up at the Onteora Administrative Offices, 4166 Route 28, Boiceville, New York, from the District Clerk between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. each business day or downloaded: Download Petition
Names are placed on the ballot in accordance with a drawing by lot. This drawing will take place in the District Administrative Office at 10:00 a.m., on Tuesday, April 23, 2019. It is not necessary for you to be present.
Click this link to see information from the New York State School Board Association: "Running for the School Board"
Voting at Large for Two (2) vacancies to be filled, for Two (2) Board Seats for terms as follows:
· July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022