Information to Run for the Board of Education
Thank you for your interest in running for a seat on the Onteora Board of Education. Please click here to see the process required.
What all prospective school board members should know (from the NYS School Board Association)
To qualify for membership on a school board you:
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent (Note: a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a school board if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole)
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year (§ 2103(2)).
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same
- May not be a current employee of the school district
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
Voting at Large for Two (2) vacancies to be filled, for Two (2) Board Seats for terms as follows:
· July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2024