Information to Run for the Board of Education
Thank you for your interest in running for a seat on the Onteora Board of Education. You can complete the top of the petition (Download Petition ) or just email the District Clerk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, address, phone number and desire to be on the ballot no later than Monday, May 11 at 5:00 p.m. No signatures required.
What all prospective school board members should know (from the NYS School Board Association)
To qualify for membership on a school board you:
- Must be able to read and write.
- Must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent (Note: a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a school board if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole)
- Must be and have been a resident (but need not be a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year (§ 2103(2)).
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same
- May not be a current employee of the school district
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
Voting at Large for Three (3) vacancies to be filled, for Three (3) Board Seats for terms as follows:
· July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2023