Welcome back! Please take the time to read this carefully. Your understanding of and participation in Onteora’s School Lunch Program is very important to us.
1. If your child(ren) was/were eligible for free or reduced meals last year or may be eligible this year, please submit the new, enclosed Free/Reduced form or send in the Direct Certification letter from the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance/NYS Education Department as soon as possible to the Food Service Department. Last year’s eligibility expires on October 20th. Return the form or letter to school with your child or mail it to: Onteora CSD, PO Box 300, Boiceville, NY 12412, Att. Christine Downs. If your household was eligible last year and you fail to send in a new application, you will be responsible for paying the full price for a meal starting October 23, 2018.
If you do not apply for free/reduced meals now and your situation changes during the year, applications for free/reduced meals may be sent in for approval at any point during the year. Applications are confidential, and with our Point of Sale (POS) system, the student’s status cannot be detected by others.
2. The cost of a complete lunch and breakfast has NOT changed.
Complete meal: In order for a student to claim a lunch at the prices listed below, he or she must take three of the five different components offered, and one of these components MUST be a fruit or a vegetable. (See components listed below). There will be signs posted informing students what components constitute a meal. If your child still has questions, please encourage him or her to ask the Food Services staff.
K-5 $1.35 $2.35
6-8 $1.60 $2.60
9-12 $1.60 $2.85
Reduced price $0.25 $0.25
Milk $0.50 $0.50
Some à la carte prices have been increased.
Five Meal Components Available to Choose From:
1) bread/grains 2) meat/meat alternatives 3) vegetables 4) fruits 5) milk
3. All students use a PIN (personal identification number). Returning students will still use the same PIN, and all positive account balances will remain the same as they were when the students left for the summer. If your child is new to the District, his/her PIN will be the student identification number that he or she will receive on the first day of school. Remember that the POS will be connected to the Parent Portal/Infinite Campus. This will allow you better access to see what your student(s) has/have been purchasing from the cafeteria. If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please contact your building administrator to sign up for one. On-line payments can be made through the Parent Portal for a fee of $2.50.
4. We strongly encourage parents to pre-pay for their students’ breakfast, lunch, and à la carte purchases on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis. Please keep in mind that this form of payment involves a debit account. All monies deposited can be used for complete meals and à la carte purchases. You may send in cash, or checks written out to Onteora CSD Food Service.
5. If you placed restrictions on your child’s account, especially if your child is entering 7th grade, please contact the Food Service Department if you want these restrictions to remain in place. Also, please have the enclosed Special Diet Prescription filled out and returned to the District if your child requires special meal accommodations. A detailed diet plan, drawn up by a physician, is required to be submitted annually at the start of the new school year in order for the School Food Authority to accommodate the request.
Please remember, we strive to serve healthy options, and our fresh ingredients are purchased locally whenever possible. We need the support of our students’ participation in the School Lunch Program in order to continue providing food that is made from scratch, as well as food that is less highly processed. Together, we can make a difference by serving healthy foods to our students.
Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your support and cooperation. We look forward to a great year. Eat well and be happy!
School Lunch Manager
845-657-2373 x 2181